Haddon Hill Group DevOps for Hybrid Cloud
- Does it take your organization weeks or months to turn around requests for new pre-production environments of your middleware platforms?
- Have you ever been on a critical-situation, Sev 1 system outage conference bridge at 2 AM on a Sunday trying to replicate a configuration-drifted production system error in a triage environment?
- Did your recent private cloud implementation result in over-deployment of software licenses and a painful entitlement audit?
Application server and middleware platform development/test environments have grown impossibly complex and resource-intensive. Enterprises have tremendous difficulty managing the developer workstations and test environments that host middleware and Integrated Design Environments (IDEs) for today's service-oriented infrastructure platforms:
- Developer workstations are resource-constrained for a given IDE (e.g., not enough processing power, memory, etc.).
- Many test environments are under-utilized or sit idle, consuming license entitlements and resources.
- Patch/fix rollout is extremely complex, error prone and subject to security risk exposure.
- Complexity and expense of environment set-up often leads to integration test corner cutting -- especially in multi-product upgrade or migration projects.
Cloud delivery completely changes the economics of managing test and development environments. Increasingly, enterprises must balance on- and off-premise operational expense, given the tremendous economy of scale from utility-style consumption of compute resources during early stages of SDLC.
Using IBM Cloud Technologies, Haddon Hill Group has marshaled years of operational excellence in data center optimization and virtualization to offer test and development environments for application and middleware infrastructure/platform-as-a-utility service -- the HHG DevOps for Hybrid Cloud solution.
The HHG DevOps for Hybrid Cloud solution is built upon best practice-based patterns for complex middleware topology provisioning using your enterprise-specific Standard Operating Environments, ensuring environment consistency and compliance. During our solution implementation, HHG works with your operations image engineers and test experts to architect, build, script, and automate the provisioning of test and dev virtual systems on x86 (ESX and KVM), System p (PowerVM) and System z (z/VM). DevOps for Hybrid Cloud also virtualizes integration test endpoints for systems that are difficult to include in full integration test harnesses, freeing your developers and test experts from "stubbing" and external system dependencies and making integration regression tests more reliable and automatable.
Such environments historically required months to construct and manage, with untold waste in operational expense. Now, with DevOps for Hybrid Cloud, such complex, dynamic workloads can be provisioned in minutes or hours and switched on or off as needed, resulting in more efficient usage and dramatic improvements in your operational cost model.
Want to learn more? Contact:
George Knoll General Manager, Haddon Hill Group 650.515.5551